Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Dear Steve,

Is your government unsure/unaware of Canadian values? Is it too much to ask that your actions actually reflect the country you are supposed to represent?

1.) Bring Omar Khadr home. This requires ending your ridiculous appeal of a Federal Court ruling. Enough is enough, the boy is Canadian. Your feelings towards him should have no bearing on the situation. He's one of our own, start acting like it. Perhaps you can take the same approach with other Canadians abroad - Huseyin Celil, Suaad Hagi Mohamud. Hey wait, I see a trend - Khadr, Celil, and Mohamud - what do those names have in common? (Cue Jeopardy music) Gee, it couldn't be a shared faith, could it? Is that why Foreign Affairs has left them in the in foreign jails? Is turning your back on Muslim Canadians who are in trouble abroad, a new Canadian value? Was it included in Jason Kenney's new citizenship guide? Is there a section advising Muslim Canadians not to leave the country because Foreign Affairs won't assist Muslims if they get into trouble while away from home? As long as you're in power I think it should.

2.) Copenhagen is coming, Steve. Stop pointing your finger at China and India. Stop your whining. I'll tell you what I'd tell my eight year old boy - I don't care what everyone else is doing. Buck up and show some leadership for godssake. It's not only embarrassing, it's dangerous. Nearly one million Canadians voted for the Green Party in 2008. If you add that to the more than 3.6 million who voted for Stephan Dion, I think that makes action on climate change a Canadian value. So Steve, it's time to say goodbye to your buddies in the tar sands (it wasn't going to last anyway) and hello to reducing carbon emissions.

I think I'm done for today Steve. To sum up - Muslims are Canadians too, and Suncor et al can't vote in our elections, but people can so do the right thing in Copenhagen. I'll be back soon.

Cheers!
K.

No comments:

Post a Comment