What gets me is that while Canadians (as represented by those polled) believe in NGOs, 60% admit they have not given financial support in the last two years to causes or organizations that address problems or issues in other countries.
So let me get all of this straight:
- Canada has a leadership role to play in the global arena.
- NGOs are more capable of making a positive contribution than governments, businesses or individuals.
- Canadians do not give NGOs the money to allow them to do the work to make the above mentioned positive contributions.
- Doctors Without Borders (Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, with volunteers working in some the world's most dangerous regions)
- Oxfam (working to end global poverty and injustice)
- Plan Canada (formerly Foster Parents Plan)
- UNHCR (United Nations Refugee Agency, not expressly Canadian)